The Nutty Buddy Collective is proud to be a part of the Acornucopia Project, a multi-state, multi-branched effort to make the world more nuts. As part of the AP, we’re developing a cooperatively owned processing facility where growers and gatherers can bring nuts and have them turned into food or money. Come see us at
The Nuttery at Smith Mill Works
151 Cedar Hill Dr., Asheville, NC 28806
Wednesdays from 5:30pm to 7pm
Sundays from 12pm to 3pm
WE BUY NUTS!
Bitternut Hickories and Black Oaks (minimum 50 lbs)
.50/lb 50 lbs to 99 lbs
.65/lb 100 lbs to 200 lbs (e.g. a 190 lb total over the season gets paid $123.50 [190 x $0.65])
.75/lb for 201 lbs and up
Red Oaks and Shagbark Hickories (minimum 50 lbs)
.25/lb 50 lbs to 100 lbs
.35/lb 101 lbs and up
Whites Oaks and other Hickories (minimum 50 lbs)
.15/lb 50 lbs to 100 lbs
.25/lb 101 lbs and up
.35/lb 50 lbs to 100 lbs
.50/lb 101 lbs and up
Black Walnuts (minimum 100 lbs)
.15/lb 100 to 200 lbs
.25/lbs 201 lbs and up
Trade value: forager receives 40% of mostly-processed nuts (cleaned, cured, cracked, sifted, ready for easy sorting of nut meats from shell)
All nuts that come in will be assessed for quality before a forager’s account is credited. Nuts will be sorted into grades upon delivery with lower grades being valued at lower rates. Grades will be determined by the Nuttery staff person doing the receiving of the delivery.
Grade A nuts: no mixing of different species within a container; clean of leaf litter and any other other ‘trash’; nuts not sprouting or moldy; low percentage of squirrel chew marks, grub exit holes, or other pest damage. Grade A nuts will be credited at 100% of the weigh-in total.
Grade B nuts: no mixing of species; some small amount of organic trash; some small amount of sprouting but no mold; some small amount of pest damage. Grade B at some rate less than 100%, determined by Nuttery staff at weigh-in.
Grade C nuts: high percentage of nuts sprouting, moldy, pest damaged, mixed, or otherwise compromised. Grade C will be considered a donation to nut processing science (we’ll use them somehow but can’t pay for them).
HOW IT WORKS:
1. Register as a forager using this form
2. Gather all the nuts you can! See The Nuts page if you have questions about gathering, storage, etc. And here’s a shared nut tree map to get you started. Please add to the map if you’ve got a sweet spot to share!
3. Bring the nuts to us during our designated Nuttery hours. We’ll keep a tally of how much you bring in over the course of the season, which goes from now until some time in early December. Nuttery is located at Smith Mill Works. Access is at 151 Cedar Hill Rd., Asheville, NC 28806. You’ll enter through a gate and stay straight. As you start going downhill, you’ll see a driveway going up to the left toward the lower level of a house. We’re set up in the garage of that building. We’ll post signs during our open hours.
4. At the end of the season, we’ll calculate your totals. You must meet the minimum weight for each species in order to be paid out. You decide whether you want money for your deposits, ‘store credit’ (which will be rewarded at a higher payback rate than cash, though we have not yet determined the rate) or some combination of money and credit. If you do not make the minimum, we’ll consider your deposits a donation to the project and will offer some Nuttery swag as a thank you.
5. We will mail you a check and/or store credit certificate. We may schedule a payout party where you can pick up your payment and celebrate the season with us and other foragers.
We will send communications via email and also make blog posts and social media. Relevant information to look for will be possible changes in Nuttery hours or weather closures, events, announcements about when we’re going to stop purchasing certain species.
If you have any questions that aren’t answered on our website, you can send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org